Section markers can be used to label certain sections of a publication. When a section marker is included in a text frame on a master page (Type → Insert Special Characters → Markers), the section marker will appear in its place on the document pages. On the master page itself, it is represented by the placeholder text "Section".
The section marker is made up of three parts: Text Before, Field, and Text After.
- Text Before and Text After allows for the inclusion of literal text strings (any text you want).
- The Field value is sourced from either a Typefi Section or a Typefi Project Field value.
During page composition in InDesign, the section marker data is inserted as: Text Before + Typefi Field data + Text After.
The section marker data entered in the Typefi Section Options dialogue populate the section marker value in InDesign’s Numbering & Section Options during page composition.
Specify the Section marker
To specify the section marker for a Typefi Section:
- Open the Typefi Section panel (Window → Typefi → Sections).
- Open the Typefi Section Options dialogue: select the name of a Typefi Section, then go to Panel menu → Section Options. Alternatively, double-click the name of a Typefi Section.
- In the Section Marker row:
- Enter any text you want in the Text Before field.
- Choose a Typefi Field from the Field pop-up menu.
- Enter any text you want in the Text After field.
- Click OK.
Remember to include spaces after Text Before and Text After if you want space between that text and the following text.
The section marker for the Section "Chapter" has been configured to insert the text "Chapter " (note the space after the word), followed by the contents of the ChapterNumber field.
Similarly, the section marker for the Section "Backmatter" has been configured to insert the text "Appendix " (note the space) followed by the contents of the ChapterNumber field.
The section marker is used in several places on various master pages:
CO-Chapter Opener (above the chapter title)
CC-Chapter Continued (in the running head)
We can reuse the CO and CC master pages for both Chapters and Backmatter Sections because the only difference is the word "Chapter" or "Appendix", and the section marker will provide that based on the kind of Typefi Section it is.
Here are the results for a Chapter Section:
And for the Backmatter Section: