Fonto makes structured content authoring easy! Fonto Editor is designed for authors with no knowledge of XML, enabling subject matter experts to create, edit and review mission-critical documents quickly and efficiently in a collaborative online environment. Organisations using Fonto + Typefi can convert their XML into as many high-quality, brand-compliant print and digital outputs as they need with just a few clicks. Learn more at fontoxml.com/fonto-editor/.
This article explains how to edit DITA (Darwin Information Typing Architecture) XML files, attach workflows, and publish jobs from Fonto Editor for Typefi XML web authoring.
- Check out and edit a DITA XML file from Fonto Editor
- Attach a workflow from Fonto Editor
- Publish a workflow from Fonto Editor
- Save and check in (unlock) a DITA XML file
To successfully attach workflows and publish Typefi jobs with Fonto Editor, please make sure that you complete the following requirements:
- First, if you still need to, install and configure Fonto Editor in Typefi Server v8.11 or later. Follow the steps in the help article: Install and configure Fonto Editor for Typefi. Need to update your Server? Refer to the help section, Installing, updating, and licensing.
- Upload and store all XML files related to your Typefi workflows in Typefi Server → Files (for example, .xml, .dita, and .ditamap files).
- Then, update any workflow XML file paths for images and other .dita files to match the location on Typefi Server → Files.
- Verify that your Typefi administrator enabled file versioning in Admin →Filestore. Enabling versioning ensures that your team can save new file versions within Fonto Editor.
Please contact us if you need assistance or have questions about these requirements.
Check out and edit a DITA XML file from Fonto Editor
When you open a DITA XML file in the XML web authoring environment, you automatically lock the file for editing, meaning other users cannot make changes or view the version you are working on until you check the file back in.
To use the check-in/out feature and save versions in Typefi Server → Files, a Typefi administrator must enable versioning in the settings located in Admin → Filestore. For more details, please see the help article, Enable file versioning in Typefi Filestore.
To check out and edit a DITA XML file from Fonto Editor, follow these steps:
- Sign in to Typefi Server v8.11 or later.
- Go to Files and select the checkbox next to a
.ditamapfile that you want to edit.
- Click Edit. The file is now checked out and locked for editing.
- Your file will now open for editing in Typefi's XML web authoring environment for Fonto Editor.
- Edit your document.
- Fonto Editor supports autosave, so your file will automatically save as you edit.
Attach a Typefi workflow from Fonto Editor
To attach a workflow, follow these steps:
- Click the Workflow icon located in the Typefi toolbar.
- Select the appropriate workflow from the list.
- Click Close to confirm your selection. (If you need to choose a different workflow, select Detach.)
Publish a Typefi job from Fonto Editor
After confirming that the file is attached to the correct workflow, you can publish your Typefi job without navigating to the Files tab.
To publish a Typefi job, follow these steps:
- Click the publish icon located in the Typefi toolbar.
- In the dialogue box, confirm the workflow details. (If you need to choose a different workflow, select Change.)
If you encounter an error message in the dialogue box, it could mean there are issues with how the workflow is set up or that you must select a different one. If this issue continues, please reach out to your Typefi Solutions Consultant.
- Click Publish to run the job.
- To download your published file, click in the dialogue box to open the Jobs log in a new tab.
Save and check in a DITA XML file
To make sure that other authorised users can access the most recent version of your edited file, you need to check in (unlock) the DITA XML file by following the steps below:
- Click Save.
- Optionally, you can add a comment to provide more details about your changes.
- Choose the Select option. A generic comment with the date and time will be added by default if you don't add a comment.
- Select the Typefi icon to check in your file when you are ready to close the Typefi XML web authoring environment.
- Once you select the Typefi icon, a dialogue box will appear and ask: Do you want to check the file back in?
- Select YES to unlock the file for editing (check in) and return to the Files tab.
- Select No if you do not want to check in the file and open a new browser tab to view Files.
To learn how to use the actions and features in Fonto Editor, please visit Fonto Editor's webpage.
If you have any questions about attaching workflows and publishing Typefi jobs with Fonto Editor, please contact us. We're happy to help!