This article is a how-to guide for system administrators—or others with a similar IT background—who are upgrading Typefi Server for Desktop (Typefi Desktop).
There are two ways you can upgrade your Typefi Desktop:
- Self-service. If you want to complete the upgrade process yourself, please follow the steps in this article. We strongly suggest that you discuss this upgrade with your Solutions Consultant before upgrading.
- Full-service. If you want us to complete the upgrade process, please contact your Solutions Consultant to schedule a time.
Prepare to upgrade
Please allow for 1-2 hours to upgrade. If you are migrating to a new computer and upgrading, complete the migration process before upgrading.
Use this table to help you prepare to upgrade:
|Make sure you have admin privileges.||You'll need admin privileges to complete the install. If you don't have admin privileges, make sure you have access to credentials of a username and password to fill in during the install.|
|Check the system requirements and Product support matrix.||Verify that you are upgrading Typefi Server for Desktop on a supported hardware and software configuration. For example, if you are upgrading to Typefi Server 8.7.3—which added support for Adobe InDesign 2021 and retired support for InDesign 2018—make sure you have InDesign 2019 or later.|
|Update InDesign to the required version.||If upgrading Typefi Server requires an updated InDesign version, we recommend updating InDesign first (use the Creative Cloud app). Once the updated InDesign version is installed, perform the following checks:
|Make sure OpenJDK 11 is installed.||Typefi 8.7 requires OpenJDK 11. Please download version 11 of the distribution, even if newer versions are available. While we bundle Oracle OpenJDK with our Windows installations, customers running macOS or those who run custom Apache Tomcat installations may find the following distributions favourable:|
|Typefi Writer workflows only: Let your Solutions Consultant know if you have any of the following:
||These may interact with each other and cause issues during the upgrading process. Your Solutions Consultant can help you remove old DOTM files and replace them with new DOTM files. Alternatively, you can follow the instructions in Missing customizations in Office Word after an update.|
|Make a backup of your server.||For macOS, see Back up your Mac; for Windows, see Backup and Restore in Windows 10). Here are some paths that Typefi often uses:
- How long will the system be down? Please allow 1-2 hours of downtime for the upgrade.
- Will a restart be required? Yes.
- When will this happen? As desired. Please contact your Solutions Consultant to schedule a time.
Download required files
Access the Typefi FTP to download the installers for each component you need. Depending on the system requirements, you may not need all components.
|Component||Location on FTP|
|Typefi Writer (if using)||Typefi__Writer|
|Typefi Server for Desktop||Typefi__Server for Desktop|
|Workflow plug-ins||Typefi__Server Plugins
Only download the plug-ins that you have licensed. For a list of each plug-in and its filename on the FTP, see Typefi latest releases.
We recommend installing the components in this order: Typefi Designer, Typefi Writer (if using), Typefi Server for Desktop, and then the workflow plug-ins you have licensed.
Install Typefi Designer
- Run the installer. If you are using macOS and cannot open the installer, please follow the steps in this workaround.
- Follow the steps in the installer, accepting all defaults. There is no need to change the installation path.
- Verify the installation:
- First, verify that Typefi Designer is installed. Open Adobe InDesign and navigate to Window → Typefi. If you do not see Typefi as an option, Typefi is not installed.
- Next, verify that the version number matches the installer. For example, Typefi_Designer-8_7_1_1179.dmg corresponds to Typefi Designer 8.7.1. To check the version, go to
- Help → About Plug-ins → About Typefi Designer (Windows) or InDesign → About Plug-ins → About Typefi Designer (macOS).
Install Typefi Writer
Custom DOTM files and other integrations may interact with each other and cause issues during the upgrading process. Your Solutions Consultant can help you remove old DOTM files and replace them with new DOTM files. Alternatively, you can follow the instructions in Missing customizations in Office Word after an update.
- Run the installer.
- Follow the steps in the installer.
- Verify the installation: Open Word and verify that the Typefi tab is in the Word ribbon. If you do not see the Typefi tab, please follow the steps in Typefi ribbon does not appear in Microsoft Word.
Install Typefi Server for Desktop
- Run the installer.
- Follow the steps in the installer. We recommend that you accept all default settings. Once the installer completes, Typefi Server for Desktop launches as a background application.
- Restart your computer.
- Verify that Typefi Server for Desktop is installed:
- Open your web browser and visit http://localhost:8080. You should see the Typefi sign-in page.
- Sign in as an administrator.
- In your Typefi Server, go to Admin → Plugins.
- At the bottom of the page, click + Add Plugin.
- Browse for the appropriate WAR file you downloaded, and select it.
- Wait. The installation process may take several minutes, especially when installing large plug-ins, so please be patient. The screen will eventually refresh and display the plug-in along with all available actions. If it does not, click Reload (located at the bottom of the screen).
- Verify that the actions you intend to use do not indicate Unlicensed:
- If the action is unlicensed and you purchased the plug-in, contact your Solutions Consultant to have the license updated or re-issued.
- If the action is unlicensed and you have not purchased the plug-in, contact the Typefi Sales Team.
To install workflow plug-ins directly within the file system, see Install workflow plug-ins and actions.
- Each time you add a WAR file, the process may take a moment and will populate the new workflow action on that screen with an auto-refresh. Do not cancel or manually refresh the page.
- If you do not see the WAR files uploading, a local security setting is affecting the system. As a temporary workaround, locate the Typefi installation folder, click on
.\Typefi\Server\webappsand paste all the WAR files into that folder. You will see them self-extract within a few moments. If this happens, make a note of the issue so it can be resolved.
- If a workflow action has an orange badge in the top right corner, a newer version is available. Click the badge to update the action. For more information, see Update an action.
Configure and license your Typefi Server ↩
- Open InDesign and minimise it. InDesign must be open when configuring a new engine.
- In your Typefi Server, go to Admin → External Applications and click InDesign.
- Click New Engine.
- Give the new engine a name; for example, ID 2021. The name set here is used in all the workflows. If you change the name here at a later stage, then all the workflows will need to be updated as well. We recommend using a simple name, such as ID + the year, which reflects the InDesign version.
- Choose the InDesign version from the pop-up menu.
- Click Refresh.
- Verify the PDF presets are loaded.
This step requires internet access.
- In your Typefi Server, go to Admin → Licenses.
- Click Add / Update (located at the bottom of the screen). A new tab will open indicating whether your license request was successful or not. If you click Add / Update more than once, all subsequent claims will fail. The license key will be emailed to your organisation's designated Tech Rep. The Tech Rep is the person at your organisation who is in charge of licensing your Typefi Server.
- Close the new tab you have open, and the previous tab will have a box to enter the license key.
- Paste the license key exactly as it is written in the email.
- Check to see if the new license is present. If it is, you are good to go. If it is not, go to Admin → Log and scroll to the bottom of the log. Copy and paste the last few lines (you will see a message about the license failure) and send it to your Solutions Consultant for the next steps.
If you use third-party software with Typefi, such as movemen MathML or DeltaXML, you may need to update those licenses too. For MathTools, see License movemen MathTools with Typefi.
Run a test job ↩
As a best practice, we recommend building a test workflow to make sure your Typefi Server is configured correctly.
If your workflows are not running, check the job log. If you see this error, Could not run workflow (workflow.typefi_workflow). Invalid license. Contact Typefi to obtain a valid license., then go back to the Admin → Licenses page and delete all licenses except for the most recent one.
Then, run the test workflow again.
If deleting the old licenses did not fix the issue, please contact your Solutions Consultant.
movemen MathTools ↩
movemen MathTools is a subscription product. To upgrade to a newer version of MathTools for InDesign:
- Download the latest MathTools installation package from the MathTools Download Area. Make sure to install the MathTools package that matches your InDesign version. If you are using Microsoft Windows, make sure you unblock it.
- If InDesign is open, close it.
- Move the
movemenfolder from the InDesign Plug-ins folder somewhere else (for example, your Desktop).
- Extract the ZIP archive you downloaded in Step 1 to the InDesign Plug-ins folder inside the InDesign application folder.
- Navigate to your old
movemenfolder (moved in Step 3) and select the license file (for example,
- Important: Copy your existing license file and paste it into the new
movemenfolder you extracted to the InDesign Plug-ins folder in Step 4.
- Open InDesign.
- Choose Math → Licensing → Verify License.
- Close and reopen InDesign.
- Verify that MathTools is activated: create a new document and choose Math → Enable Math for Current Document.
If you are licensing MathTools for the first time, licenses are only issued after Typefi has received payment. It may take up to 10 business days to receive a license. For more information, see License movemen MathTools with Typefi.
- How long will the system be down? Not at all.
- Can this be done remotely? Yes.
- Will a restart be required? No.
- When will this happen? As you desired.
Please sign in to leave a comment.