This article is a how-to guide for system administrators—or others with a similar IT background—who are upgrading Typefi Server for Workgroup.
There are two ways you can upgrade Typefi Server for Workgroup:
- Self-service. If you want to complete the upgrade process yourself, please follow the steps in this article. We strongly suggest you discuss this upgrade with your Solutions Consultant before upgrading.
- Full-service. If you want us to complete the upgrade process, please contact your Solutions Consultant to schedule a time.
Upgrade Adobe InDesign Server
To upgrade to a newer version of Adobe InDesign Server, contact your Solutions Consultant to let them know. If you licensed InDesign Server through us, your Solutions Consultant will provide you with the InDesign Server installer.
InDesign Server 2020-2022 licenses are reusable. For example, if you already have a license for InDesign Server 2020, you can use that same license for InDesign Server 2022.
If you are upgrading to InDesign Server 2021 or later, see Upgrading to Adobe InDesign Server 2021 or later for instructions.
Adobe recommends purchasing the Development license for extended testing and staging solutions. For more information, see Adobe InDesign Server Licensing Updates.
Once upgraded, you’ll need to re-save all your Typefi-ready templates (.indd) into the newer version and ensure that the InDesign client licenses are also upgraded.
- Is the InDesign Server license reusable? Yes, for InDesign Server 2020-2022. For example, if you already have a license for InDesign Server 2020, you can use that same license for InDesign Server 2022.
- How long will the system be down? Though this process is normally pretty painless, let your team know that the system will be down for 1-2 hours.
- Can this be done remotely? Yes.
- Will a restart be required? Yes.
- When will this happen? As desired.
Upgrade Typefi Server
Please allow 1-2 hours of downtime for the upgrade. The general process for upgrading Typefi Server for Workgroup is:
- Running the latest Typefi Server for Workgroup installer on top of the existing installation to upgrade the server.
- Running the latest Typefi Designer for Workgroup Server installer on top of an existing installation to update InDesign Server plugins.
- Replacing workflow plug-ins (WAR files) that should be replaced.
Use this table to help you prepare to upgrade:
|Make sure you have admin privileges.
|You'll need admin privileges to complete the installation of Typefi Designer and Typefi Writer (if using). If you don't have admin privileges, make sure you have access to credentials of a username and password to fill in during the install.
|Check the system requirements and Product support matrix.
|For example, Typefi Server 8.7.3 added support for Adobe InDesign 2021 and retired support for InDesign 2018. You'll want to make sure you have InDesign 2019 or later.
|Update InDesign to the required version.
|If upgrading Typefi Server requires an updated InDesign version, we recommend updating InDesign first (use the Creative Cloud app). If you use movemen MathTools, the InDesign version also affects which version of MathTools you need to have locally. Once the updated InDesign version is installed, perform the following checks:
|Make sure OpenJDK 11 is installed.
|Typefi 8.7 requires OpenJDK 11. Please download version 11 of the distribution, even if newer versions are available. While we bundle Oracle OpenJDK with our Windows installations, customers running macOS or those who run custom Apache Tomcat installations may find the following distributions favourable:
|Typefi Writer workflows only: Let your Solutions Consultant know if you have any of the following:
|These may interact with each other and cause issues during the upgrading process. Your Solutions Consultant can help you remove old DOTM files and replace them with new DOTM files. Alternatively, you can follow the instructions in Missing customizations in Office Word after an update.
After you have completed these preparation steps:
- Contact your Solutions Consultant and let them know you want to upgrade. They will provide you with the latest version of Typefi Server on our free Sandbox environment (available for 30 days).
- Complete your testing in Sandbox within 30 days.
After your testing in Sandbox is complete, you can begin the upgrade process:
- Download all required files (see list below) from the Typefi FTP.
- Make internet access available to the server or make preparations for offline activation. Doing this online is highly recommended.
- Make sure you have access to a local administrator or a domain user account with local admin rights. Grant it log on as service rights. This account is used as the service account for Typefi and InDesign.
- Make a backup of your server. For macOS, see Back up your Mac; for Windows, see Backup and Restore in Windows 10. Here are some paths that Typefi often uses:
C:\ProgramData\Typefi. The program directory might vary. Your filestore has all your data.
|Location on FTP
|Typefi Writer (if using)
|Typefi Server for Workgroup
|Typefi__Server for Workgroup
|Typefi Designer Server
Only download the plug-in files (.war) that you have licensed. For a list of each plug-in and its filename on the FTP, see Typefi latest releases.
We recommend installing the client-side software first, then the server-side software.
Install client-side software
- Install Typefi Designer. For step-by-step instructions, see Installing Typefi Designer.
- If your workflow uses Typefi Writer, install it next. For instructions, see Installing Typefi Writer and Installing the 64-bit edition of Writer example. Custom DOTM files and other integrations may interact with each other and cause issues during the upgrading process. Your Solutions Consultant can help you remove old DOTM files and replace them with new DOTM files. Alternatively, you can follow the instructions in Missing customizations in Office Word after an update.
Install server-side software
Install Typefi Designer Server:
- Run the installer.
- Follow the steps in the installer.
- Open the
.\Adobe InDesign [Year] Server\Plug-Insfolder and verify that a folder named Typefi was created.
Install Typefi Server for Workgroup:
- Run the installer.
- Follow the steps in the installer. Although you may select all defaults, our suggested practice is to install to a dedicated volume or a designated app folder. The contents of this package include Apache Tomcat and Typefi Server Console files.
- Restart your computer.
- Change the Typefi Workgroup Server Service account and the InDesign Server service account to the same named user account.
- Verify that Typefi Workgroup is installed:
- Open your web browser and visit http://localhost:8080. You should see the Typefi sign-in page.
- Sign in to Typefi Server as an administrator.
Install workflow plug-ins:
- In your Typefi Server, go to Admin → Plugins.
- At the bottom of the page, click Add Plugin.
- Browse for the appropriate WAR file you downloaded from the FTP, and select it.
- Wait. The installation process may take several minutes, especially when installing large plugins, so please be patient. The screen will eventually refresh and display the plugin along with all available actions. If it does not, click the Reload button on the bottom bar.
- Verify that the actions you intend to use do not indicate Unlicensed:
To install workflow plug-ins directly within the file system, see Install workflow plug-ins and actions.
- Each time you add a WAR file, the process may take a moment and will populate the new workflow action on that screen with an auto-refresh. Do not cancel or manually refresh the page.
- If you do not see the WAR files uploading, a local security setting is affecting the system. As a temporary workaround, locate the Typefi installation folder, click on
.\Typefi\Server\webappsand paste all the WAR files into that folder. You will see them self-extract within a few moments. If this happens, make a note of the issue so it can be resolved.
- If a workflow action has an orange badge in the top right corner, a newer version is available. Click the badge to update the action. For more information, see Update an action.
Configure and license your Typefi Server
If you're upgrading to InDesign Server 2021 or later, follow the steps in Upgrade to Adobe InDesign Server 2021 first.
- In your Typefi Server, go to Admin → External Applications and click InDesign.
- Click the Refresh button to update the engine’s information and confirm connectivity.
- Verify the version information and PDF Presets are within expectations. If they are not loaded, please contact us for assistance.
- If you update the name, a restart of the Typefi Workgroup Server Service is necessary.
This step requires internet access.
- In your Typefi Server, go to Admin → Licenses.
- Click Add / Update (located at the bottom of the screen). A new tab will open indicating whether your license request was successful or not. If you click Add / Update more than once, all subsequent claims will fail. The license key will be emailed to your organisation's designated Tech Rep. The Tech Rep is the person at your organisation who is in charge of licensing your Typefi Server.
- Close the new tab you have open, and the previous tab will have a box to enter the license key.
- Paste the license key exactly as it is written in the email.
- Check to see if the new license is present. If it is, you are good to go. If it is not, go to Admin → Log and scroll to the bottom of the log. Copy and paste the last few lines (you will see a message about the license failure) and send it to your Solutions Consultant for the next steps.
If you install third-party software with your InDesign solution, be sure those are updated and licensed accordingly.
Run a test job
As a best practice, we recommend building a test workflow to make sure your Typefi Server is configured correctly.
If your workflows are not running, check the job log. If you see this error, Could not run workflow (workflow.typefi_workflow). Invalid license. Contact Typefi to obtain a valid license., then go back to the Admin → Licenses page and delete all licenses except for the most recent one.
Then, run the test workflow again.
If deleting the old licenses did not fix the issue, please contact your Solutions Consultant.
Decommission the old computer
As the last step, uninstall Typefi software from the old computer. For macOS, see How to delete apps on your Mac; for Windows, see Uninstall or remove apps and programs in Windows 10.
Upgrade movemen MathTools
movemen MathTools is a subscription product. There are two components: MathTools for InDesign (local to your computer) and MathTools for InDesign Server.
Upgrade MathTools for InDesign
To upgrade to a newer version of MathTools for InDesign:
- Download the latest MathTools installation package from the MathTools Download Area. Make sure to install the MathTools package that matches your InDesign version. If you are using Microsoft Windows, make sure you unblock it.
- If InDesign is open, close it.
- Move the
movemenfolder from the InDesign Plug-ins folder somewhere else (for example, your Desktop).
- Extract the ZIP archive you downloaded in Step 1 to the InDesign Plug-ins folder inside the InDesign application folder.
- Navigate to your old
movemenfolder (moved in Step 3) and select the license file (for example,
- Important: Copy your existing license file and paste it into the new
movemenfolder you extracted to the InDesign Plug-ins folder in Step 4.
- Open InDesign.
- Choose Math → Licensing → Verify License.
- Close and reopen InDesign.
- Verify that MathTools is activated: create a new document and choose Math → Enable Math for Current Document.
If you are licensing MathTools for the first time, licenses are only issued after Typefi has received payment. It may take up to 10 business days to receive a license. For more information, see License movemen MathTools with Typefi.
Upgrade MathTools for InDesign Server
To upgrade to a new version of MathTools for InDesign Server, download the latest installation package from the MathTools for InDesign Server Download Area.
- How long will the system be down? Not at all.
- Can this be done remotely? Yes.
- Will a restart be required? No.
- When will this happen? As desired.