The most current version is Typefitter 5.1 (v18.104.22.168), released on 3 Jan 2022.
Say goodbye to bad breaks, overset text, short lines, unbalanced columns, and more!
Typefitter is an automated copy-fitting plug-in that seamlessly integrates into Adobe InDesign. Use it to manually tighten or loosen text, or automatically find and fix overset text, short lines, unbalanced columns, and more.
Automatically copyfit without jeopardising quality
Typefitter’s algorithms search for the smallest possible change that fits your text.
Create and edit custom typefit rules
Adjust which text and attributes are modified, and set limits on how much Typefitter can change.
Maintain full control
Typefitter allows you to manually tighten and loosen text where needed. It also tracks all changes and highlights modified text, so you can easily remove changes where required.
Typefitting text has never been so quick, simple, or effective
Typefitter is the perfect copyfitting plug-in for Adobe InDesign. It can also be used with our automated publishing platform, Typefi Cloud or Typefi 8. Download a free trial of Typefitter today!
@typefi has released #Typefitter 4.4 with support for @InDesign 2021. This automated copyfitting plug-in easily finds and fixes common typography issues (bad breaks, overset text, short lines, etc.) I don’t update to a new version of InDesign until Typefitter is compatible. https://t.co/Nj3mwKSoJn— MacKey Composition (@MacKeyComp) December 15, 2020
Typefitter User Guide (PDF; updated Dec 2016)
Version history ↩
|4.4.1||18 Dec 2020||●||●||●|
|4.3.2||23 July 2020||●||●||●|
|4.3.1||19 Mar 2020||●||●||●|
|4.3.0||17 Dec 2019||○||○||○|
|4.2.0||29 Sep 2019||○||○||○|
|4.1.0||06 Nov 2018||○||○||○|
|4.0.3||17 Nov 2017||○||○||○||○|
|4.0.2||16 Aug 2017||○||○||○|
|4.0.1||01 Dec 2016||○||○||○|
|4.0.0||10 Feb 2016||○||○|
Typefi acquired TypeFitter Pro from Teacup Software in January 2016.
4.4.1—18 Dec 2020 (re-released 08 Feb 2021)
- Fixed the misaligned About Typefitter dialogue (macOS-only).
- Happy New Year! 🥳 Updated our copyright date from 2020 to 2021.
- If you are installing Typefitter on macOS and see a warning message, please follow the steps in Unable to install Designer or InDesign plug-ins.
4.4.0—15 Dec 2020
- Added support for InDesign 2021 (16.x).
- Added support for macOS Big Sur.
- Removed support for InDesign CC 2018 (for more information, see Typefi Product Support Lifecycle).
4.3.2—23 July 2020
- Improved the user interface when using Typefitter in compact mode (click the up-and-down arrow icon to the left of Typefitter). Now, the tighten/loosen controls are no longer truncated.
4.3.1—19 Dec 2020
- Added support for InDesign 2020 (15.x) on macOS (10.14).
- Fixed our fitting algorithm. Typefitter again applies the minimal tightening required to fit text within a frame.
- Fixed two licensing and activation issues:
- Fixed an overzealous license validation issue where jobs that normally took 2 minutes were taking 20 minutes. Jobs are back to sprinting, not strolling.
- Fixed an issue where Typefit rules were not found when running a job through a Typefi workflow.
- ¿Hablas English? → ¿Hablas español? Improved our Spanish localisation, no more sneaky English phrases in the middle of Spanish phrases.
- Happy New Year! Updated our copyright date from 2019 to 2020.
4.3.0—17 Dec 2019
- Added support for InDesign 2020 (15.x).
- Removed support for InDesign CC 2017 (for more information, see Typefi Product Support Lifecycle).
4.2.0—29 Sep 2019
- Replaced legacy eSellerate licensing and activation system with FastSpring and SoftwareKey.
- Fixed an issue where Typefitter ignored footnotes.
4.1.0—06 Nov 2018
- Added support for InDesign CC 2019 (14.x).
- Removed support for InDesign CC 2015 and earlier (for more information, see Typefi Product Support Lifecycle).
- Fixed an issue where you couldn't alter paragraph space before in Fill Gap Typefit rules.
- Renamed Fix stories with a short final column to Fit last column to minimum line count.
- Fixed a scripting regression where Typefit rules couldn't target a selection, and would instead affect the entire document.
- Removed the
TypefitterScriptingAddOnModelplug-ins into a separate Typefitter Scripting installer (see known issue below re: AppleScript conflict).
- Added the scripting
app.typefitterPreferences.versionproperty to return Typefitter's full version number.
4.0.3—17 Nov 2017
- Added support for InDesign CC 2018 (13.x).
- Refreshed user interface with updated icons that match those in Typefi Designer.
- Added new Typefitter splash screen.
- Fixed blurry icons when Windows 10 display scaling is set to 150%.
- Improvements to the Spanish localisation.
- Known issue: If you are experiencing AppleScript-related issues (for example, with third-party tools like Zevrix LinkOptimizer), please quit InDesign and remove the
TypefitterScriptingAddOnModelplug-ins from your Adobe InDesign → Plug-ins → Typefi folder.
4.0.2—16 Aug 2017
- ¿Hablas español? Typefitter is now localised in Spanish.
- Redrew legacy Typefitter icons for high-resolution (HiDPI) or Retina displays.
- Cleaned up the Edit Typefit Rule dialogue.
4.0.1—01 Dec 2016
- Added support for InDesign CC 2017 (12.x).
- Fixed several activation and deactivation issues.
- Improved compatibility with older versions of InDesign (CS6).
- Updated Typefit rules to refer to a short word on a line by itself as a runt (a widow is a single last line of a paragraph at the top of a page). Credit: David Blatner at InDesignSecrets.com.
4.0.0—10 Feb 2016
- Added support for InDesign CC 2015 (11.x).
- First release with Typefi branding.
- Changed name from "TypeFitter Pro" to "Typefitter".