A Typefi Section Field is a type of Typefi Field where the value remains the same throughout a single Typefi Section.
For example, if a publication has multiple chapters, the value of a Typefi Section Field will change from chapter to chapter. Typefi Section Fields are commonly used for Section-level content—such as the chapter title and running headers and footers.
Typefi Section Field formats
A Typefi Section Field can be formatted as text or counter.
The text format is useful for text-based content, such as a chapter title.
The counter format is useful for tracking chapter numbers or as a prefix for figure numbers that belong to a specific chapter number. Typefi Section Fields formatted as a counter have two parts: the value itself and the style (for example, Roman or Arabic).
Here are some examples of how you can use Typefi Section Fields formatted as text or a counter:
|Example||Typefi Section Field formats|
|Running headers and footers||Text|
Using Typefi Section Fields formatted as counters allows Typefi Section content to be reused in different publications where the chapter order may change, without needing to renumber the chapters in the source files.
Counters are updated automatically only when new Typefi Sections are inserted during page composition by Typefi. If you insert normal InDesign sections after running your document through Typefi, the counters will not be updated. This is because Typefi Section Fields are only associated with Typefi Sections.
Create a Typefi Section Field
You can also create a Typefi Section Field when you create a Typefi Section.
To create a new Typefi Section Field:
- Open the Typefi Fields panel (Window → Typefi → Fields).
- Click the Create New Field icon at the bottom of the panel; or choose New Typefi Field from the panel menu.
- In the Typefi Field Options dialogue, enter a unique Name, set the Type to Section, set the Format to either Text or Counter, and click OK.
- Add the Typefi Section Field to the corresponding Typefi Section:
- Open the Typefi Section Options panel (Window → Typefi → Sections).
- Double-click the Section name you want the Typefi Section Field to be a part of.
- In the Typefi Section Options dialogue, click the Fields tab.
- Select the checkbox next to the Typefi Section Field name to add it to the Section. If the Typefi Section Field is formatted as a counter, you can change its style from the Style pop-up menu.
You must select each Typefi Section Field to add it to the Section, even if you are using an XML-only workflow (that is, you are not using Typefi Writer to author content). If you do not add a Typefi Section Field to a Section, its value will be omitted in the final output. In previous versions of Designer, you only had to select the Typefi Section Field if you were using Typefi Writer.
- Click OK.
- After you have created a new Typefi Section Field, you can insert it into your template.
What is the Typefi Section Field value?
Typefi Section Fields are content placeholders in the Typefi-ready template. The actual value of the Typefi Section Field in the final document is set differently depending on the format and whether your workflow uses Typefi Writer.
|Writer workflow||XML workflow|
|Typefi Section Field formatted as text||The author or editor sets the value when they create a Typefi Section in Typefi Writer.||The author or editor sets the value when they create a Typefi Section in Typefi Writer.|
|Typefi Section Field formatted as a counter||Typefi Designer automatically sets the value and the style during page composition.||Typefi Designer automatically sets the value and the style during page composition.|
Please sign in to leave a comment.