The Advanced Conditional Keeps event script enhances your ability to control paragraph breaks by adding conditional rules to InDesign's Keep Options. Conditional Keeps rules can be set to enable Keep with Previous or Keep with Next __ Lines only when certain criteria are met; for example, keep with next only if the following paragraph is ___, or keep with previous only if the previous paragraph is not ___.
- Keep With Next Paragraph If …
- Keep With Next Paragraph If Not …
- Keep With Previous Paragraph If …
- Keep With Previous Paragraph If Not …
- Keep With Next If Previous Not …
- Keep With Previous If Next Not …
How do Conditional Keeps work?
InDesign paragraph styles offer a limited number of Keep Options. You can set a paragraph style to Keep with the Next or Keep with the Previous paragraph.
In a Typefi workflow, you can identify a paragraph style for which you want to apply a conditional keep and then list one or more paragraph styles for which the conditional keep applies.
For example, you can set a paragraph styled as "Normal" to keep with the next paragraph when this next paragraph is styled as "Ordered List." When the paragraph styled as "Normal" is followed by a paragraph styled in another paragraph style, the keep option won’t apply.
How to configure Conditional Keeps in a workflow
Conditional Keeps are defined in a table in the InDesign template and are implemented by an Event Script. You can find the table on a "Conditional Keeps" master page in your template. If your template does not have the configuration table, see Adding a Configuration Table.
Your workflow should be configured to run this script at the SpillEnd event.
Note: When a paragraph style is part of a group, the vertical pipe character "
|" is used to separate the group name and the paragraph style name. For example: "General|Normal" specifies the paragraph style "Normal" within the style group "General".
Make sure you do not insert any space characters before or after the vertical bar character.
- Download ConditionalKeepsTable.idms.
- Create a new master page in your InDesign template. Name it "Conditional Keeps" with whatever prefix your template uses (Z, X, or XC usually).
- Choose File → Place and select the ConditionalKeepsTable.idms you downloaded previously.
- Place the snippet on the ‘Conditional keeps’ master page. A ‘Conditional keeps’ layer will be created.