The National Information Standards Organization (NISO) officially announced the publication of the STS (Standards Tag Suite)—an XML tag suite for the publication of standards—on 9 October 2017.
To celebrate the release of the new standard, Typefi and Inera will host a weekly webinar series on how you can best leverage STS, starting on 23 October 2017.
What is STS and why is it important?
STS is a suite of XML elements and attributes that describes the full-text content and metadata of standards.
STS builds upon JATS (Journal Article Tag Suite)—the existing, widely used standard for journal publishers—and a variant of JATS, ISOSTS, the International Organization for Standardization’s (ISO) version of STS created in 2011.
Bruce Rosenblum, CEO of Inera and co-chair of the NISO STS Working Group, said that the standard will positively impact the bottom line of standards publishers and their vendors.
“Investment in publishing technology is a significant cost. When companies don’t ‘speak the same language’, costs remain high and innovation is stifled,” he said.
“NISO STS allows all parties to leverage a common investment and spread costs over a larger number of organisations, which will in turn lower costs of software and services for everyone.”
Other benefits of the new standard:
- Greater interoperability between standards publishers and the standards distribution ecosystem;
- Greater ease of discovery, use and adoption of standards worldwide;
- The ability to easily publish complex standards in multiple print and digital formats;
- A sustainable way to create, publish, share, and store standards (as opposed to the widely-used but inflexible PDF).
Webinar series: Standardising Standards
To help standards publishers understand and adopt this new common format, Typefi and Inera are offering a weekly webinar series on how you can best leverage STS. The eight 30-minute recordings will include:
- Everything you need to know about the new publishing standard;
- The advantages you will gain from using STS, Inera eXtyles and Typefi to transform your publishing processes;
- Real-world case studies of how standards publishers have benefited from implementing XML-based publishing workflows (including ISOSTS) in the past;
- And more!
Presenters include Chandi Perera (Typefi), Bruce Rosenblum (Inera / NISO STS Working Group), Eric Damitz (Typefi), Gabriel Powell (Typefi), Laurent Galichet (ISO), and Antti Saari (Finnish Standards Association / NISO STS Working Group).
For more details or to register for series updates, visit the Standardising Standards page. If you don’t want to wait for the series, contact us now to find out how you can publish your standards more effectively with STS, eXtyles and Typefi!
Join the conversation on Twitter: #XML4standards
Original post: https://www.typefi.com/standardise-your-standards-with-sts/
Please sign in to leave a comment.