Released 16 Sept 2021
Note: Typefitter for InDesign Server will be released later this year.
We’re pleased to announce that Typefitter 5.0.1 (v126.96.36.199) is now available. Typefitter 5.0.1 runs faster in native mode on Apple computers using the Apple silicon M1 chip and features improved security and adds Spanish localisation.
Typefitter 5 is a major upgrade from Typefitter 4. Typefitter 5 features a refined user interface and powerful new features, such as detecting widows and orphans and white space rivers.
Typefitter 5 will be available in different editions, Typefitter Standard and Typefitter Professional, depending on your typography needs. To learn which features each edition supports, see Typefitter 5 editions. This release, Typefitter 5.0.1, is only for Typefitter 5 Standard. Typefitter 5 Professional will be released later this year.
NOTE If you use Typefitter with Typefi Server, we recommend waiting to upgrade until Typefitter 5 Professional is released. Typefitter 5 Standard will not work with Typefi Server workflows. Typefitter 5 Professional, to be released later this year, will work with Typefi workflows.
If you have any feedback or run into any issues, please contact us.
Typefitter 5.0.1 system requirements
- Microsoft Windows 10 (v1709 or higher); or macOS Big Sur (11.0), Catalina (10.15), or Mojave (10.14).
- Adobe InDesign 2021 (16.x), InDesign 2020 (15.x), or InDesign 2019 (14.x).
- 2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended).
For more information about our end of support policies, see Typefi Product Support Lifecycle.
Native Apple processor support
Typefitter 5.0.1 now runs in native mode on Apple computers using the Apple silicon M1 chip, for faster performance than earlier generation systems.
NOTE For Typefitter 5.0.1 to run in native mode on Apple computers, you must use InDesign 16.3 or later.
The macOS installer for Typefitter 5.0.1 is signed and notarized. Now, when you install Typefitter, you will no longer see this Gatekeeper warning:
"Typefi Typefitter.pkg" can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.
Gatekeeper is an Apple technology that performs online checks to verify if an app has known malware and whether the developer’s signing certificate is revoked.
For more information, see Safely open apps on your Mac.
¿Hablas español? Typefitter 5.0.1 is now wholly localised in Spanish.
- Added a tooltip to features not available in the Standard edition (such as the Fix & Find and Fix all buttons). Before, these buttons were disabled without any explanation. Now when you hover over these buttons, you will see This feature is available with the Professional edition.
- If you enter an out-of-range Copyfit Slider value, the error message now tells you the current Slider range.
- When setting the Copyfit Slider limits, the tab order is now row-based, not column-based.
- You can now click a field label in the Typefitter Preferences and Typefitter panel to select its associated control.
- The Typefitter About panel now updates your activation status automatically. Before, when you clicked Activate, the About panel still showed that Typefitter was unlicensed unless you closed and reopened the panel.
- Typefitter now detects overset text when the search scope is Selection.
- Clear Copyfitting now resets all values in the Typefitter panel to their default values.
- If Typefitter was unlicensed and you created a text frame, an errant Evaluation expired! message appeared. Now, you can create a text frame without seeing this message.
- Added compatibility support between Typefitter 4 and Typefitter 5. To work on an InDesign document that was first manipulated with Typefitter 4, export the InDesign document file to IDML. Then, open it in Adobe InDesign with Typefitter 5 installed.
- The My Account button in the About panel now links to FastSpring instead of SoftwareKey.
- Several fixes for keyboard shortcuts:
- Removed the Remove all typefit changes from document keyboard shortcut because it was redundant.
- Consolidated the Clear Copyfitting Changes From Story/Document and Clear Copyfitting Changes from Selection into one keyboard shortcut: Clear Copyfitting. If you have text selected, Clear Copyfitting clears the copyfitting from the selected text; if you do not have text selected, it removes the copyfitting from the story/document.
- Fixed a typo in the keyboard shortcuts: Fix All Copyfit Violation is now Fix All Copyfit Violations.
- Several fixes for Typefitter localised in Spanish:
- All violations are now found when the search scope is End of story, and you start the search from the beginning.
- When installing Typefitter for the first time, the About panel incorrectly showed that only 2 days were left in your free Typefitter trial. Now, it shows the correct number: 45 days.
- The complete Spanish text is now fully visible in the Typefitter panel.
- Changed a keyboard shortcut name from Aflojar el parametro de Copyfit en 1 to Aflojar Copyfit en 1 to keep it consistent with the other keyboard shortcut names.
- Several cosmetic fixes:
- Redesigned the Typefitter compact mode so that the controls are not truncated. Now, compact mode shows all the controls and hides the Info panel and the Copyfit details.
- Increased the height of the Info panel so that text at the bottom is not chopped off.
- Changed the Evaluation expired! message to Your trial has ended. To continue using Typefitter requires a subscription. To purchase, please go to our website and click Subscribe Now. If you no longer need Typefitter, please uninstall it.
- Typefit Styles are not available. Typefitter 5 Standard (released 1 June 2021) does not support Typefit Styles from Typefitter 4. Typefitter 4 will continue to be supported until Typefitter 5.1 Professional is released later this year. When Typefitter 5.1 Professional is released, Typefit Styles will be renamed Typefitter Profiles.
- White space river highlighter is not detecting any rivers. If the white space river highlighter is not detecting any rivers, you may need to reset your InDesign preferences. First, quit InDesign, then hold down the following keys when InDesign re-opening:
- Windows: Shift + Ctrl + Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
- macOS: Shift + Option + Command + Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
- White space river highlighter is still not detecting any rivers, even after I reset my InDesign preferences. We are investigating rare reports that the white space river highlighter doesn’t work on specific documents. The workaround is to export the InDesign document to IDML (File → Export → choose InDesign Markup (IDML) as the Format) and then re-open the document.
Typefitter is a subscription product. You can try out Typefitter for 45 days without a subscription. After the trial has ended, you’ll need to purchase a Typefitter subscription to continue using it. After the trial period has ended, you will no longer have access to any Typefitter features until you purchase a subscription. However, Typefitter is not a required plug-in, and you will still have full access to your InDesign files after the trial period has ended.
Adobe Creative Cloud notices
Adobe updates and adds new features to the Creative Cloud on an ongoing basis. Both because earlier versions are uninstalled by default, and because Creative Cloud updates may break compatibility with Typefi, we recommend disabling or deselecting both Auto-updates and Remove older versions for Adobe InDesign. For more information, see Update Creative Cloud apps.
In May 2019, Adobe announced changes to Creative Cloud download availability that limited direct download access to the two most recent major versions of Creative Cloud apps. Concurrent with this change, Adobe either recommends or requires your operating system to be no earlier than two versions back.