Typefi Fields are inserted within standard Adobe InDesign text frames. They can be positioned at the location of the text insertion point; or they can be applied to selected text.
NOTE Fields must be inserted within standard Adobe InDesign text frames, not within Typefi Frames. If you insert a Field within a Typefi Frame, it will be replaced by actual content during the automated page composition process.
Position a Typefi Field at the location of the text insertion point
To insert a Typefi Field within a text frame:
- Open the Typefi Fields panel (Window → Typefi → Fields).
- Select a Field Name in the panel.
- Using the Type Tool, click inside a text frame and position the insertion point where you would like the field to be placed.
- Click the Apply selected Field icon at the bottom of the panel; or choose Apply Field from the panel menu; or double-click the Field Name.
Field Markers appear as red square brackets around the Field Name and indicate that the Field Definition is applied. You can select and format the field as you would any other text.
Apply a Typefi Field to selected text
TIP Applying a field to selected text is useful when the Field Name is too long to fit within the text frame.
To apply a Typefi Field to selected text:
- Select a Field Name in the Typefi Fields panel.
- Using the Type Tool, select the text to which you would like to apply the field.
- Click the Apply Selected Field icon at the bottom of the panel; or choose Apply Field from the panel menu; or double-click the Field Name.
Field Markers appear around the selected text to indicate that the Field Definition is applied. The selected text becomes the default data value for the applied field.
NOTE The Field text in the template and the Field value that will appear in the output will be formatted with the paragraph and character styling of the text that it's applied to.
NOTE If you do not see the Field Markers, choose View → Screen Mode → Normal. If they are still not visible, choose Show Field Markers from the Typefi Fields panel menu.
If you have any questions, please contact us. We're here to help.