MathTools is a set of plug-ins for Adobe InDesign and InDesign Server that adds native equation editor functionality and MathML import/export. MathTools equations are fully editable text, not inline images.
After enabling MathTools (select Math → Enable Math for Current Document), you can begin creating equations, which MathTools calls MathZones. MathTools supports several methods for creating MathZones:
- Math → Toolboxes (new in MathTools v3). Math Toolboxes are interactive palettes that help you insert expressions by type. They are quite similar to the equation palettes used by the Microsoft Equation Builder and WIRIS MathType; or
- Math → MathZone → Create from Inline Equation Images. MathTools extracts MathML embedded within a MathType EPS equation image and applies Math Styles to the associated components of the expression. You can customize Math Styles to adjust their appearance similar to how you edit a Character Style.
- Scripting. You can also enter or copy-paste MathML strings into any text frame and then convert that text into a MathZone using InDesign scripting.
NOTE Typefi requires MathTools Enterprise edition; MathTools Pro doesn't include the necessary scripting support for integration with Typefi workflows.
If your workflow includes MathML (for example, you've authored equations using Microsoft Equation Builder in Typefi Writer), Typefi provides a MathML Handler event script for InDesign (it runs at the Document Start script event) to properly pass through MathML equations into InDesign, followed by an additional MathML to MathZone conversion script (that runs at the Spill End event) to convert this raw MathML notation into native MathZones.
If your workflow instead uses MathType EPS equation images, Typefi provides a MathType to MathZone conversion script (which runs at the Spill End event) to extract the embedded MathML from within the MathType EPS to create native MathZones (and remove the MathType EPS graphics).
Additional InDesign scripts can be used to apply advanced processing to equations or address limitation in the plug-in's handling of equations at the top or bottom of a text frame. For more information on scripting MathTools, see MathML event scripts or contact your Typefi Solutions Consultant.
Typefi also supports MathTools-enabled EPUBs that replace the unintelligible equations exported by InDesign with:
- Native MathML expressions (for readers that support MathML such as iBooks or Calibre); or
- Equation images with MathML encoded within the
alttag (for most other EPUB readers that don't support MathML, including Kindle).
For more information about MathTools, see the movemen Knowledge Base.
For information on movemen MathTools and how it can integrate into your Typefi workflows, contact your Typefi Solutions Consultant.