Authoring MathML equations with Microsoft's Equation Builder is simple and easy, and the equations are natively supported by our server-side Import DOCX or Modify DOCX workflow actions without requiring any additional software or configuration.
Insert an equation
To insert a built-in equation, choose Insert → Equation and choose the equation you want from the gallery.
To type an equation from scratch, choose Insert → Equation and select Insert New Equation from the bottom of the built-in equation gallery. This inserts an equation placeholder where you can type your equation.
TIP Press Alt + = on your keyboard to quickly insert a new equation.
Change or edit an equation
To change or edit an equation that was previously written:
- Select the equation, which will show Equation Tools in the ribbon;
NOTE If you don't see Equation Tools in the ribbon when you select an equation, it may have been created using Equation 3.0 or using an add-in like MathType. Rather than recreating it from scratch, you can use GrindEQ Math Utilities to convert Equation 3.0 and MathType objects into Microsoft Equation format.
- Choose the Design tab to see tools for adding various elements to your equation:
- Symbols. Click the arrow in the upper right corner of the gallery to see other symbol sets.
- Structures. Choose a structure to insert and then replace the placeholders with your own values.
- Conversion. Use Professional to display the current or all equations in a professional format optimized for display; use Linear to display the equation in either UnicodeMath format or LaTeX format.
Format Input Output UnicodeMath
For more information about creating equations or formulas in Microsoft Word, see Write an equation or formula and Linear format equations using UnicodeMath and LaTex in Word.