Typefi Server for Workgroup
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 or Windows Server 2019; or macOS Big Sur (11.0), Catalina (10.15), or Mojave (10.14)
- Adobe InDesign Server 2021 (16.x), InDesign Server 2020 (15.x), or InDesign Server 2019 (14.x)*
- InDesign workflow plug-in v30 or later
- 8 GB of RAM (16 GB recommended), and an additional 2–8 GB per instance of InDesign Server
- Multicore (64-bit) processor
- fast storage I/O
Typefi Server for Desktop
- Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)*; macOS Big Sur (11.0), Catalina (10.15), or Mojave (10.14)
- Adobe InDesign 2021 (16.x), InDesign 2020 (15.x), or InDesign 2019 (14.x)*
- InDesign workflow plug-in v30 or later
- Microsoft Word 2019/2016 (32-bit only) on the Semi-Annual channel, or Word 2013 (32-bit only) with security update KB3039794
- 2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)†
* See Adobe Creative Cloud notices below for further details.
† These system requirements are baseline requirements, but your number of users, number of assets, and number of asset revisions affect system performance. The requirements with an asterisk (†) are affected by these variables.
|Extensis FontLink||2||Workgroup and Cloud only|
Typefi Writer (64-bit edition)
- Microsoft Windows 10 (v1709 or higher)
- Microsoft Word 2019/2016 (64-bit only) on the Semi-Annual Channel, or Word 2013 (64-bit only) with security update KB3039794
- Microsoft Excel (optional; required for Microsoft Excel import)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 or later
- Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime - Version 4.0; if it is not present, the Writer installer will install it.
- SQL server compact edition 4.0; if it is not present, the Writer installer will install it.
Typefi Writer (32-bit edition)
- Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit); or macOS Big Sur (11.0), Catalina (10.15), or Mojave (10.14)
- Adobe InDesign 2021 (16.0-16.2)*, InDesign 2020 (15.x), or InDesign 2019 (14.x)
- 2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
* Typefi Designer is not yet compatible with InDesign 16.3. Please wait to upgrade to InDesign 16.3.
Every product has a lifecycle. The lifecycle begins when a product is released and ends when it is no longer supported.
For more information about our end of support policies, see Typefi Product Support Lifecycle.
Adobe Creative Cloud notices
Adobe updates and adds new features to the Creative Cloud on an ongoing basis. Both because previous versions are uninstalled by default and because Creative Cloud updates may break compatibility with Typefi, we recommend disabling or deselecting both Auto-updates and Remove older versions for Adobe InDesign. For more information, see Update Creative Cloud apps.
In May 2019, Adobe announced changes to Creative Cloud download availability that limited direct download access to the two most recent major versions of Creative Cloud apps. Concurrent with this change, Adobe either recommends or requires your operating system to be no earlier than two versions back.
Microsoft Office compatibility
One of the benefits of Microsoft 365 is that Microsoft provides new features for Microsoft apps on a regular basis. The schedule for these updates depends on your selected update channel. Typefi only certifies Writer compatibility with the Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel. While the Current Channel delivers new or updated features and security and non-security updates at least once each month, these releases are only supported by Microsoft until the next monthly channel release is available and may break compatibility with line-of-business applications like Typefi Writer. For these reasons, Typefi strongly recommends selecting the Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel, which also delivers new or updated features and security and non-security updates, but on a slower schedule of two updates (in January and July) each year. For more information about the channel releases for Microsoft 365 Apps, see Overview of update channels for Microsoft 365 Apps.
To change to the Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel, do the following:
- Run Command Prompt (cmd) as Administrator.
- Enter the following commands:
cd "\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun" OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Deferred OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user exit
- Wait for the updates to download and install.
Switching to OpenJDK
Oracle has announced that Oracle JDK 8 builds released after January 2019 cease to be free for commercial use. As an alternative, Oracle has an open-source Java available named OpenJDK. With the release of Java 11, Oracle will be providing functionally identical JDK builds to both the commercially licensed Oracle JDK and the open-source OpenJDK.
While we bundle Oracle OpenJDK with our Windows installations, customers running macOS or those who run custom Apache Tomcat installations may find the following distributions favourable:
NOTE Typefi 8.7 requires OpenJDK 11. Please download version 11 of the distribution, even if newer versions are available.
- Amazon Corretto is a no-cost, multi-platform, production-ready distribution of OpenJDK. Corretto comes with long-term support that will include performance enhancements and security fixes. Typefi runs Corretto internally on production services, and Corretto is certified as compatible with the Java SE standard.
- AdoptOpenJDK provides prebuilt OpenJDK binaries from a fully open-source set of build scripts and infrastructure. Supported platforms include Linux, macOS, Solaris, ARM, and Windows.
- Oracle OpenJDK is what Typefi builds and packages with our Windows installers. Oracle intends to continue to support open-source and open standards through the distribution of OpenJDK. Although binaries for Linux are available readily, macOS and Windows distributions require assembly.
Linux support statement
Typefi will provide installation support for distributions based on the Linux 2.6 kernel or later to customers with Gold or Platinum Support Agreements.