19 February 2019
We're pleased to announce that Typefi Writer 8.6.0 (v22.214.171.1241) is now available. Typefi Writer 8.6.0 is a compatibility release for Typefi Server 8.6.0.
For details on Typefi Writer 8.5, which added the ability to publish portions of your document, allowed you to insert and manage metadata in paragraphs and introduced significant performance improvements, please see its release notes.
Typefi Writer 8.6.0 system requirements
- Microsoft Windows 10 or Windows 8.1
- Typefi Cloud, Workgroup, or Desktop 8.6 or later with Microsoft Word plugin version 11 or later (version 15 or later is recommended)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or later
- Microsoft Word 2019 (32-bit only) or Word 2016 (32-bit only) on Semi-annual (deferred) update channel, or Microsoft Word 2013 (32-bit only) with security update KB3039794
- Microsoft Excel (optional; required for Microsoft Excel import)
Note Typefi Writer 8.6 no longer supports Microsoft Word 2010. For more information about our end of support policies, see Typefi Product Support Lifecycle.
- Fixed an issue where filtering paragraph styles in the Select Cross-Reference Source dialog may show the wrong styles after deselecting one or more paragraph styles
- Normalised some older dialogs to the modern look-and-feel
- Multiple improvements to our warning and error messages
- when a Word file or any asset within a Word file is stored on a filepath that exceeds 255 characters
- when clicking Refresh and the original workflow cannot be found
- when clicking Refresh and no valid server connection is found
- Element References create duplicate content (workaround: update to Microsoft Word plugin version 15 or later)
- Microsoft Word automatically translates the names of its "built-in" styles (for example, English: Heading 1 → Spanish: Título 1) based on the display language setting (File → Options → Language → Display Language), which causes Writer to omit these styles if the translated style name differs from the name used in your Adobe InDesign template (workaround: rename your InDesign styles to match the translated equivalents for all "built-in" Microsoft Word styles)
- Offline use (Workflow options → Allow selection of local Typefi stylesheets) is broken
Every product has a lifecycle. The lifecycle begins when a product is released and ends when it is no longer supported.
For more information about our end of support policies, see Typefi Product Support Lifecycle.
Microsoft Office 365 update channel
One of the benefits of Office 365 is that Microsoft provides new features for Office apps on a regular basis. The schedule for these updates depends on your selected update channel. Typefi only certifies Writer compatibility with the Semi-annual update channel. While the Monthly(formerly "Current") channel delivers new or updated features, and security and non-security updates at least once each month, these releases are only supported by Microsoft until the next monthly channel release is available and may break compatibility with line-of-business applications like Typefi Writer (for example, the August 2017 "Monthly" update introduced a bug in a critical component used by Writer). For these reasons, Typefi strongly recommends selecting the Semi-annual (formerly "Deferred") update channel, which also delivers new or updated features, and security and non-security updates, but on a slower schedule of two updates each year. The Semi-annual update channel also extends support to 18 months from first release. For more information about the channel releases for Office 365 client applications, see Office 365 client update channel releases.
To change your update channel to Semi-annual (formerly "Deferred"), do the following:
- Run Command Prompt (cmd) as Administrator
- Enter the following commands:
cd "\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun" OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Deferred OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user exit
- Wait for the updates to download and install