20 September 2018
We're pleased to announce that Typefi Writer 8.5.1 (v184.108.40.2062) is now available. Typefi Writer 8.5.1 is a targeted bug fix release.
With Typefi Writer 8.5 you can now publish portions of your document for testing purposes or to publish extracts on demand. You can also now insert and manage metadata within paragraphs, and benefit from significant performance enhancements to how we work with Elements.
For details on Typefi Writer 8.4, which added cloud-based assets, the ability to automatically sync your changes to the server, and was the last version to include AutoTag, our legacy rules-based tool for automatically "Typefiing" a document, please see its release notes.
Typefi Writer 8.5.1 system requirements
- Microsoft Windows 10 or Windows 8.1
- Typefi Cloud, Workgroup, or Desktop 8.5 or later with Microsoft Word plugin version 15 or later
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or later
- Microsoft Word 2019 or 2016 (32-bit only) on Semi-annual (deferred) update channel, Microsoft Word 2013 (32-bit only) with security update KB3039794, or Word 2010 (32-bit only) with security update KB2881029
- Microsoft Excel (optional; required for Microsoft Excel import)
Publishing partial documents
You can now choose whether to publish All sections (the default option) or choose a Custom subset of sections. If you have a current selection within your document when you click Publish, you can choose to only publish that selected content.
When you use Custom to publish a subset of your sections, Typefi Writer 8.5 creates a new temporary document that contains only your selected content while leaving your original file intact and unchanged. And when you publish the Current selection, Writer intelligently copies over any additional required markup (for example, the parent Typefi Section markup, any referenced elements, or any missing start or end tags for elements, conditions, hyperlinks, metadata, or table of contents.
You can now insert and manage metadata within paragraph using Typefi Writer 8.5. Metadata is not generally visible in any final output, but can be used to pass hidden content through a workflow without loss (for example, when round trip editing from Word → InDesign → Word).
To insert metadata, or to apply metadata tags around any existing content, select Insert Metadata from the Insert group of the Typefi tab. To edit or delete metadata, double-click the
META start tag to open the Edit metadata dialog (this is also where you can set the optional
NOTE While metadata can appear almost anywhere in Content XML 3.1, Writer 8.5 only support metadata within paragraphs and styles. Inserting and managing metadata between sections or paragraphs may be available in a future release.
Element performance improvements
Working with elements is faster thanks to performance enhancements in Typefi Writer 8.5. You’ll notice the difference when inserting element references, using Explore Document and publishing your content. An additional benefit is that you are no longer blocked from pasting content into some non-Typefi dialogs, such as the Address text area of Envelopes and Labels.
However, enabling these improvements requires a one-time update of your documents:
CAUTIONUpdated documents are not backward-compatible with Typefi Writer 8.4.x or earlier.
NOTE Typefi Professional Services have developed a tool to assist you in batch updating multiple documents at once for Typefi Writer 8.5. For more information or access to this tool, please contact your Typefi Solutions Consultant.
- 8.5.1 Fixed restriction that in the new Typefi Publish dialog you must select Custom before you can pick one or more sections
- 8.5.1 Fixed an issue where the Edit metadata dialog could not be cancelled by pressing the ESC key.
- 8.5.1 Made two changes to Insert Element → Apply default paragraph style
- Apply default paragraph style is now enabled by default
- Fixed a bug where the default paragraph style wasn't applied to complex elements (for example, an element that contains one or more fixed elements)
- 8.5.1 Renamed Writer Options → Appearance → Image options to Media options
- 8.5.1 Fixed an issue where keyboard navigation didn't work within the Writer Options dialog
- 8.5.1 Fixed some omitted strings for the Spanish localisation
- Added acknowledgements for our contributors, whose efforts over many years have made this software what it is (see About Typefi Writer → Credits)
- Removed AutoTag, our legacy tool for automatically applying Typefi markup to a document using paragraph style-based patterns; we recommend Visual Basic for Applications for client-side processing or the Modify DOCX workflow action for server-side processing
- Made several validation changes related to elements, media, tables, and worksheets:
- Fixed a bug where Explore Document did not detect nested floating elements
- Fixed a bug where it was possible to create infinitely recursive elements (by inserting an element reference inside the element being referenced)
- Fixed a bug where available element references were not limited to the current section
- Fixed a bug where it was possible to insert (nest) an element reference to a floating element within another element
- Fixed a bug where it was possible to insert items into sections that lacked a Main Story frame (for example, an Endnote, Index, or TOC section)
- Fixed a bug where it wasn't possible to insert multiple, sequential element references (the source list would be empty)
- Fixed a bug where it wasn't possible to insert a missing child element using Insert Element
- Fixed a bug where floating elements could be inserted (nested) within other elements
- Added ability to validate partial documents to Explore Document (see Publishing partial documents above)
- Fixed a bug where removing a complex (nested or multi-level) element via Explore Document may leave behind an orphaned End Element tag
- Replaced ListView controls (such as in the Select Cross-References Source dialog) with a Unicode-aware alternative to support Russian, Chinese, Arabic, and other non-Latin languages (see additional changes and known issues below)
- Updated various Typefi Writer dialogs to remove their 'foreheads'
- Replaced Yes|No prompts with Ok|Cancel to better support accessibility (for example, canceling dialogs by pressing the
- Fixed a bug for Typefi Cloud users where changing the workflow on-the-fly within the Typefi Publish dialog could cause an error
- Fixed a bug where 'workbook' scope named ranges were ignored when inserting an Excel workbook
- Made a change to the Check In behavior so the document closes automatically rather than remaining open after check in
- Fixed an issue where closing the Edit Element dialog, without making changes, could result in an
Unexpected Error 91
- Fixed a bug where previews of linked media may not refresh on newly opened documents
- Fixed a bug that may duplicate element conditions if you edit an element with an applied condition and change it to a different element without changing the applied condition
Tools.getPublishingDocumentmethod to the Writer 8.5 API to support partial documents (see Publishing partial documents above)
- Fixed a bug where replacing paragraph styles via Explore Document could trigger a
WARNING: Required parameter (Name) is missingfor tables
- Made several changes to the Select Cross-References Source dialog:
- Changed the Select field to a drop-down list (previously, you could directly edit the document name; now you must browse for a file)
- Fixed a (Spanish-only) bug where the Marcadores(Bookmarks) tab showed paragraphs instead of bookmarks
- Made a change to hide the
.typefi_workflowfile extension within Writer dialogs
- Fixed a bug where the Servers list overflowed the Typefi Writer Options dialog
- Fixed a typo in the Insert Image dialog
- Element References create duplicate content (workaround: update to the upcoming Microsoft Word version 15 workflow plug-in)
- Microsoft Word automatically translates the names of its "built-in" styles (for example, English: Heading 1 → Spanish: Título 1) based on the display language setting (File → Options → Language → Display Language), which causes Writer to omit these styles if the translated style name differs from the name used in your Adobe InDesign template (workaround: rename your InDesign styles to match the translated equivalents for all "built-in" Microsoft Word styles)
- Offline use (Workflow options → Allow selection of local Typefi stylesheets) is broken
Every product has a lifecycle. The lifecycle begins when a product is released and ends when it is no longer supported.
For more information about our end of support policies, see Typefi Product Support Lifecycle.
Microsoft Office 365 update channel
One of the benefits of Office 365 is that Microsoft provides new features for Office apps on a regular basis. The schedule for these updates depends on your selected update channel. Typefi only certifies Writer compatibility with the Semi-annual update channel. While the Monthly (formerly "Current") channel delivers new or updated features, and security and non-security updates at least once each month, these releases are only supported by Microsoft until the next monthly channel release is available and may break compatibility with line-of-business applications like Typefi Writer (for example, the August 2017 "Monthly" update introduced a bug in a critical component used by Writer). For these reasons, Typefi strongly recommends selecting the Semi-annual (formerly "Deferred") update channel, which also delivers new or updated features, and security and non-security updates, but on a slower schedule of two updates each year. The Semi-annual update channel also extends support to 18 months from first release. For more information about the channel releases for Office 365 client applications, see Office 365 client update channel releases.
To change your update channel to Semi-annual (formerly "Deferred"), do the following:
- Run Command Prompt (cmd) as Administrator
- Enter the following commands:
cd "\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun" OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Deferred OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user exit
- Wait for the updates to download and install