06 April 2018; updated 07 May 2018
Typefi Writer 8.4.2 (v8.4.2.034) is now available. Writer 8.4.2 includes bug fixes and feature improvements.
For details on Typefi Writer 8.3, which featured a refreshed and reorganized user interface, new Microsoft Excel integration, and audio and video enhancements, please see its release notes.
Typefi Writer 8.4.2 system requirements
- Microsoft Windows 10, Windows 8.1, or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1
- Typefi Cloud, Workgroup, or Desktop 8.4 or later with Microsoft Word plugin version 11 or later
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or later
- Microsoft Word 2016 (32-bit only) on Semi-annual (deferred) update channel, Microsoft Word 2013 (32-bit only) with security update KB3039794, or Word 2010 (32-bit only) with security update KB2881029
- Microsoft Excel (optional; required for Microsoft Excel import)
Typefi Writer 8.4 enables direct linking to images, and audio and video assets from your Typefi Server. Before, Typefi Writer could only insert links from your local file system or a shared drive. To insert a link to a cloud-based asset, click Browse from server to browse for a file on the Typefi server. To browse for a file on your local computer, click Browse from PC.
By default, Writer 8.4 uses the new
filestore URL scheme to link to assets on your Typefi Server (for example,
filestore://path/to/file.png), but it also supports the
job-folder URL scheme to link to assets that may have been copied into your job folder by another workflow action.
job-folder URL scheme use relative paths. For example, Files → Caleb → Hello World → links → Fish.png is equivalent to
filestore://Caleb/Hello World/links/Fish.png, while
job-folder://images/Fish.png is equivalent to
Enhanced check in process
Typefi Writer 8.4 automatically syncs the changes you make to checked out documents back to the Typefi Server, ensuring that your changes are immediately available to workflows.
To customise how documents are saved:
- On the Typefi tab, in the Writer group, choose Options.
- In the Typefi Writer Options list, choose File handling.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Prompt Before Syncing – Receive a prompt when you save asking whether you want to upload your changes.
- Save Locally Only – Changes are saved only to your local computer. You are responsible for checking in your changes as needed.
- Sync Copy to Server – Each time you save, your changes are automatically uploaded to the Typefi Server (this is the default setting).
Enhanced Microsoft Excel integration
With Typefi Writer 8.4 you can now use named ranges to define the scope of an embedded Microsoft Excel worksheet. This enables you to embed only a portion (for example, a few cells or rows) rather than the entire worksheet.
Note: Typefi does not currently support named ranges with a workbook (global) scope. Instead, use Define Name (on the Formulas tab, in the Defined Names group, click Define Name) to set your scope to the worksheet that contains the selected cells. For more information on using names in your workbook, see Define and use names in formulas.
For more information about Microsoft Excel integration, see Embed an Excel worksheet.
NOTE Requires the full version of Microsoft Excel be installed along with the Microsoft Word plug-in v11 or later.
Content XML 3.1
Writer 8.4 also adds support for Content XML 3.1, which adds new list numbering styles (padded numerals, and Arabic, Chinese, and Hebrew letters), the ability to assign conditions to elements and tables directly, and the new
<toc> tag can be used as an alternative to an InDesign-generated table of contents (TOC). While InDesign generates its TOCs after all the document is complete and its scope is always the entire document, a
<toc> tag generates its TOC from the source Content XML before the document is composed. A
<toc> tag also automatically limits its scope to its parent
<section> (for example, to create a chapter-specific TOC).
Note: A future release of Typefi Writer will support
<meta> content within Microsoft Word.
For more information, see Content XML 3.1.
- 8.4.2 Redesigned the Select Cross-References Source dialog to make it easier to narrow down the choices, and then select the paragraph you want to refer to
- 8.4.2 Fixed an issue where having AutoRecover or AutoSave enabled prevented changes from syncing to the server after the first successful sync (see Known Issues for Writer 8.4.0 or 8.4.1)
- 8.4.2 Fixed an unexpected but rare error -2146232576 when attaching a workflow
- 8.4.2 Updated Spanish localisation
- 8.4.1 Typefi Writer now detects and reports problems with Microsoft Excel when inserting or editing an embedded Excel worksheet
- Conditions can now be directly assigned within the Edit Element or Edit Table dialogs
- Added connection timeout limit setting to Print Manager (default is 60 seconds)
- Increased contrast for Typefi ribbon icons to improve legibility
- Redesigned and reorganized Typefi Writer options
- Added support for automatic synchronization of content changes to the Typefi Server (go to Writer Options → File Handling)
- Removed hard-coded Typefi Writer keyboard shortcuts; instead, see Keyboard Shortcuts for instructions on how to create your own custom keyboard shortcuts
- Added missing delete button to Edit Excel Worksheet dialog
- Multiple improvements related to content validation:
- Hidden index entries within a Typefi header or footer paragraph are now flagged with a warning
- Improved validation of floating elements (and element references to a floating element) to prevent insertion within another floating element
- Improved filtering of available elements when inserting an element reference to prevent creation of a recursive reference
- Restored ability to create element references for fixed elements
- Fixed a bug where cancelling a file check in may delete the local file
- Fixed a bug (
Unexpected Error -2146232000) related to improper handling of some Unicode special characters within project field values
- Updated and renamed the underlying Typefi Writer macro function names to reflect current usage and behavior; if you have built custom macros that tie into Writer 8.3, this may break that integration (see Keyboard Shortcuts for a reference table listing the new function names)
- ¿Hablas español? Typefi Writer 8.4 supports both English and Spanish
- AutoTag is officially deprecated (see below) and will be removed in a future release of Writer.
Every product has a lifecycle. The lifecycle begins when a product is released and ends when it is no longer supported.
For more information about our end of support policies, see Typefi Product Support Lifecycle.
AutoTag, a rules-based tool for automatically applying Typefi markup to a document using paragraph style patterns, is officially deprecated and will be removed in a future release of Writer.
What deprecation means:
- The feature will continue to work "as is", but we recommend any future work be done:
- Typefi will no longer provide features enhancements, or resolve most bugs or cosmetic issues
- Support is limited to issues related to the feature's removal and/or migration to its replacement functionality (when available)
Microsoft Office 365 update channel
One of the benefits of Office 365 is that Microsoft provides new features for Office apps on a regular basis. The schedule for these updates depends on your selected update channel. Typefi only certifies Writer compatibility with the Semi-annual update channel. While the Monthly (formerly "Current") channel delivers new or updated features, and security and non-security updates at least once each month, these releases are only supported by Microsoft until the next monthly channel release is available and may break compatibility with line-of-business applications like Typefi Writer (for example, the August 2017 "Monthly" update introduced a bug in a critical component used by Writer). For these reasons, Typefi strongly recommends selecting the Semi-annual (formerly "Deferred") update channel, which also delivers new or updated features, and security and non-security updates, but on a slower schedule of two updates each year. The Semi-annual update channel also extends support to 18 months from first release. For more information about the channel releases for Office 365 client applications, see Office 365 client update channel releases.
To change your update channel to Semi-annual (formerly "Deferred"), do the following:
- Run Command Prompt (cmd) as Administrator
- Enter the following commands:
cd "\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun" OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Deferred OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user exit
- Wait for the updates to download and install