A Typefi Section Field is a Field in which the value remains the same throughout a single Typefi Section. You can think of Typefi Section Fields as content placeholders within a Typefi Section. They are commonly used in chapter titles and running headers and footers.
On this page
What are Typefi Section Fields? ↩
A Typefi Section Field is a type of Typefi Field in which the value remains the same throughout a single Typefi Section. For example, if a publication has multiple chapters, the value of a Section Field will change from chapter to chapter. Typefi Section Fields are commonly used for Section-level content—such as the chapter title and running headers and footers.
Typefi Section Field formats
A Typefi Section Field can be formatted as text or counter.
The text format is useful for text-based content, such as a chapter title.
The counter format is useful for tracking chapter numbers, or as a prefix for figure numbers that belong to a certain chapter number. Section Fields formatted as a counter have two parts: the value itself and the style (for example, Roman or Arabic).
Here are some examples of how you can use Section Fields formatted as text or a counter:
|Example||Typefi Section Field formats|
|Running headers and footers||Text|
TIP Using Section Fields formatted as counters will allow Section content to be reused in different publications where the chapter order may change, without needing to renumber the chapters in the source files.
NOTE Counters are updated automatically only when new Typefi Sections are inserted during page composition by Typefi. If you insert normal InDesign sections after running your document through Typefi, the counters will not be updated. This is because Section Fields are only associated with Typefi Sections.
How do I set the value of a Typefi Section Field?
Typefi Section Fields are content placeholders in the Typefi-ready template. The actual value of the Section Field in the final document is set differently depending on whether or not your workflow uses Typefi Writer and the format of the Section Field.
|Writer workflow||XML workflow|
|Section Field formatted as text||The author or editor sets the value when they create a Typefi Section in Typefi Writer.||The author or editor sets the value when they create a Typefi Section in Typefi Writer.|
|Section Field formatted as a counter||Typefi Designer automatically sets the value and the style during page composition.||Typefi Designer automatically sets the value and the style during page composition.|
How do I create a Typefi Section Field? ↩
To create a new Typefi Section Field:
- Open the Typefi Fields panel (Window → Typefi → Fields).
- Click the Create New Field icon at the bottom of the panel; or choose New Typefi Field from the panel menu.
- In the Typefi Field Options dialogue, enter a unique Name, set the Type to Section, set the Format to either Text or Counter, and then click OK.
- Add the Section Field to the corresponding Typefi Section:
- Open the Typefi Section Options panel (Window → Typefi → Sections).
- Double-click the Section name you want the Section Field to be a part of.
- In the Typefi Section Options dialogue, click the Fields tab.
- Select the checkbox next to the Section Field name to add it to the Section. TIP If the Section Field is formatted as a counter, you can change its style from the Style pop-up menu.
- Click OK.
TIP You can also create a Typefi Section Field when you create a Typefi Section.
After you have created a new Typefi Section Field, insert it into your template.