22 August 2017
We're excited to share that Typefi Writer 8.3.0 (v8.3.733) is now available. Typefi Writer 8.3 includes new features, bug fixes, and performance improvements.
For details on Typefi Writer 8.2, which added support for media elements (video and audio) in rich, interactive formats like HTML, EPUB, and PDF, please see its release notes.
Writer 8.3 system requirements
- Microsoft Windows 10, Windows 8.1, or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1
- Typefi Cloud, Workgroup, or Desktop 8.3 or later with Microsoft Word plugin version 10 or later
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or later
- Microsoft Word 2016 (32-bit only) on Semi-annual (deferred) update channel, Microsoft Word 2013 (32-bit only) with security update KB3039794, Word 2010 (32-bit only) with security update KB2881029, or Word 2007 with security update KB2881067 (deprecated)
Refreshed and reorganized user interface
With the 8.3 release, Typefi Writer has a brand new user interface. The tools have new icons that match those of Server and Designer, and have been reorganized and streamlined to make it easier for you to do more, faster.
Microsoft Excel integration
New in Writer 8.3 is the ability to import and embed Microsoft Excel worksheets, worksheets that can be rich with formulas, calculations, and cell styles. If you work with lots of numbers, get your job done much quicker and easier by using Excel instead of Word tables. For more information about Microsoft Excel integration, see Embed an Excel worksheet.
Audio and video enhancements
Further expanding the audio and video media support introduced with the 8.2 release, Writer 8.3 adds support for configuring autoplay, looping, and showing/hiding controls.
- Enhanced Refresh button to also silently check for changes to the attached workflow or project
- Multiple enhancements to Document Explorer:
- Document Explorer now check footnotes for paragraph styles in use
- Document Explorer now detects misplaced end tags (for example, within a table cell)
- Multiple enhancements to New Document dialog:
- Open Document now remembers the last visited folder
- Open Document now supports undoing a check out via contextual menu
- Open Document now support managing file version history via contextual menu
- Multiple enhancements to Edit Element dialog:
- Edit Element now shows any references to the element
- Edit Element now includes a Copy Message button to copy any validation errors to the clipboard
- Multiple enhancements to Edit Cross-reference dialog:
- Edit Cross-reference now remembers the last used source
- Edit Cross-reference now has a button to Go to source
- Updated Typefi ribbon tab title to Title Case for Word 2010 and Word 2016 (Word 2013 remains ALL CAPS)
- Element names are now case-sensitive (along with Sections, Fields, Conditions and Table styles)
- Multiple improvements to user experience when checking in a document:
Unexpected error 70caused by attempt to close document before it had completely saved
- Fixed errant check in request after undoing a check out
- OK button is now the default and responds to a Return/Enter key press
- Improved support for editing child elements when the template has changed (for example, if a child element was renamed or removed from the template)
- Improved handling of hidden bookmarks at the start of a Typefi Section (could prevent insertion or editing a Section)
- Multiple fixes related to conditional Sections:
- Fixed issue where only the last condition enabled for a Section was actually applied
- Fixed issue where conditions, once enabled, could not be removed from a Section
- Fixed issue where Microsoft Word may stop responding when enabling conditions within a Section
- Multiple fixes related to
Unexpected error 91errors*:
- Fixed issue when deleting a section that was renamed or deleted from the template
- Fixed issue when modifying a cross-reference
- Fixed issue when attempting to insert an element and no elements are available for the section
- Fixed issue when attempting to check out a file when file versioning is not enabled on the server
- Fixed an occasional cosmetic issue where the pointer cursor may appear as the blue spinning circle (busy) cursor even when it's no longer busy
- General cleanup to Writer dialogs (including reorganizing and reducing the size of the Insert Table dialog)
* Other Unexpected error 91 errors may be caused by a bug introduced by Microsoft in KB4036121 and distributed to users on the Monthly (Current) update channel. Typefi strongly recommends selecting the Semi-annual (Deferred) update channel, which was not affected by this bug. For more information on Microsoft Office update channels, see Microsoft Office 365 update channel notice below.
Microsoft Office 365 update channel notice
One of the benefits of Office 365 is that Microsoft provides new features for Office apps on a regular basis. The schedule for these updates depends on your selected update channel. Typefi only certifies Writer compatibility with the Semi-annual update channel. While the Monthly (formerly "Current") channel delivers new or updated features, and security and non-security updates at least once each month, these releases are only supported by Microsoft until the next monthly channel release is available and may break compatibility with line-of-business applications like Typefi Writer (for example, the August 2017 "Monthly" update introduced a bug in a critical component used by Writer). For these reasons, Typefi strongly recommends selecting the Semi-annual (formerly "Deferred") update channel, which also delivers new or updated features, and security and non-security updates, but on a slower schedule of two (formerly three) updates each year. The Semi-annual update channel also extends support to 18 months from first release. For more information about the channel releases for Office 365 client applications, see Office 365 client update channel releases.
To change your update channel to Semi-annual (formerly "Deferred"), do the following:
- Run Command Prompt (cmd) as Administrator
- Enter the following commands:
cd "\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun" OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Deferred OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user exit
- Wait for the updates to download and install
Microsoft Word 2007 deprecation notice
Every product has a lifecycle. The lifecycle begins when a product is released and ends when it is no longer supported.
With the release of Typefi Writer 8.3, support for Microsoft Word 2007 has been officially deprecated. In addition, in accordance with Microsoft Lifecycle Policy, support for Word 2007 will end on 10 October 2017. After 10 October 2017, there will be no new security updates, non-security updates, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates for Microsoft Word 2007.
For more information about end of support, see Typefi Product Support Lifecycle.